Can my wife keep me from letting my twin sons be with me and my girlfriend/soon to be fiance while divorce is pending?

My wife cheated on me and now I want out…I have met the women of my dreams and have been seeing her. I want her to be involved in my twin sons lives slowly of course…can my wife legally keep me from doing this?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Family Law, Oklahoma


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

While a divorce is pending without an order from the court stating how a situation should be addressed both parents have a right to see their children just as they did before the action was initiated. If your wife refuses letting you see your children than you may want to make a motion with the court for the judge to order such visitation rights. As far as your girlfriend if she happens to be around you while with the children again without an explicit order that she cannot be from the court you are allowed to have the children around her and anyone else you choose.

I would assume you have an attorney handling the divorce and if so ask them to help you make a motion for the court to order your wife allow access to the children. Otherwise you may want to speak with an attorney who can help you with this process. Good luck and feel free to post again with additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.