Can my wife change the locks on our apartment?

We had a fight so I went to a family members for a couple of weeks and while I was gone she told the landlord that I moved out which I didn’t, my stuff is still there and wanted him to change the locks. Then she told me she didn’t want me to be able to come in their anytime and get my things.

Asked on June 8, 2017 under Family Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless and until you have either a formal separation agreement or final decree of divorce which stipulates who gets possession of the premises, it is still considered to be the "joint marital residence". This means that you both still have the right to occupy it. This is true regardless of whose name is on the lease. Accordingly, your wife cannot simply change the locks. You'll need to inform your landoird of this and have them give you a key and/or take your wife to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.