Can my wages be garnished in one state for a car that was repossessed in another?

I am the only income coming into my household and currently support 2 children and a wife that is a full-time student. My current salary is $558 a week.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your wages can be garnished in one state when you defaulted on your auto loan/financing in another state. That's because every state will respect and enforce the judgments, or court decisions, of every other state, and will also enforce contracts (like loans and financing agreements) entered into in other states. Therefore, depending on the exact circumstances, the lender/financing agency can either sue you in their state, then enforce the judgment (including by garnishing wages) in your state; or they might be able to and choose to sue you directly in your own state.

If you after tax (FICA) income exceeds, I believe, $217.50 per week, you could have your income garnished.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.