Can my university radically change my program of study?

My university is trying to make me accept a new program of study for my degree. They have added classes, increased the number of credits for classes and made classes that I took as part of my degree into electives. Can they do this legally?

Asked on July 23, 2010 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you have something in writing specifying either the exact courses and degree program you will take, your university do this. Universities have a great deal of discretion and flexibility to define their degree programs, requirements for a diploma or graduation, their classes, credits, etc. IF you believe and can show that the university somehow committed fraud against you--e.g. they took your money never intending to allow you to get the degree you wanted or to offer the classes you need--you might have a claim or cause of action against them. However, absent fraud, the university can change requirements and programs. I suspect that if you look at all you r agreements, etc. with the university, as well as any disclaimers on their website and in their advertising, somewhere you will even find an explicit notice to this effect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.