Can my uncle as executor allow me to only receive a small monthly payment from my mother’s estate?

I am an only child receiving all of my mother’s estate. I am 51 years old.

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your uncle might be allowed to distribute only a small monthly payment. For example, he could distribute this way if your mother set up a trust that provides for payments to you over time or if the probate court ordered the executor to make monthly payments. Ordinarily, however, the distribution would not be spread out like this. You should show the paperwork from your mother's estate to a local probate lawyer to figure out if the executor is acting properly in this case. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.