How can I getmy record be expunged?

At age 16 I was arrested for shoplifting but I was charged with robbery on a business. I didn’t get convicted until 18 and my charges were reduced to common law robbery.

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Potentially if you were arrested as a minor your records are sealed for the conviction that resulted for the shoplifting charge. If the records are sealed due to the juvenile conviction then most likely any background check of you will not show the conviction.

To get an expungement possibly, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney as to the likelihood and cost of obtaining such. Not all applications for a criminal expungement are granted. Factors are the length of time since the conviction, the type of conviction, the reason for the desired expungement and what the person has done since the conviction.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.