Can my previous employer withhold commissions due because they paid for training costs?

They sent me for a training camp and for the a national sales meeting, both out of state. Their argument is that they are out those expenses because I quit but I did give them their full 2 weeks notice.

Asked on February 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They could only do this if there wa a written agreement saying that they could debit your commissions by the training expenses if you left without 2 weeks notice, or they at least warned you prior to sending you to training camp, that if you left too soon after, you could have to reimburse the training costs--and you showed your agreement to that term or condition by going to training despite the warning (and/or by staying employed and not resigning, if you were told that you *had* to go to training but would be liable for costs if you left soon after; remaining employed after hearing of terms, conditions, rules, etc. shows your acceptance of or agreement to them). Only with your agreement, express or implied, to a written or oral agreeent can you be held liable for training costs.
If they never warned you ahead of time, you don't have to pay; and if they do withhold pay from you for this reason, you could sue them (e.g. in small claims court) for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.