Can my plea agreement be altered by my probation officer outside of court?

Asked on November 9, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A plea bargain is the length of the sentence, the length of probation, the amount of fine, amount of restitution, and how much community service.  Conditions of probation are not generally considered terms of the plea bargain.  The terms can be changed as any time by the officer or the court as long as they are reasonably related to your offense or your issues.  UA's have consistently been upheld as reasoanbly related to virtually all probations.  If your probation officer tries to add an unusual condition, like requiring a sex offender polygraph, when you are on probation for a drug related offense, then your attorney could challenge that condition as not be "reasonably related" to your underlying charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.