Can my plant manager give his son special pay and treatment?

Our plant manager will employ his son for brief periods of time, like a week or two, and gives him a pay rate that is literally almost double for doing the same work that others have been doing for years. You can work there for 20-30 years and still not make close to as much as his son makes when he isn’t even 25. It’s not right but is it legal?

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal. That is unless company policy prohibits nepotism or the terms of a union agreement or employment contract are being violated. Additionally, this preferential treatment must not constitute a form of actionable discrimination; in other words, you must not be given lesser treatment based on your membership in a "protected class" (i.e. based on your race, religion, disability, etc.). The fact is that, not all employees need be treated the same; a company can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit. Accordingy, an employee in a case such as yours, can either put up with the situation, complain and risk termination, or quit. Bottom line while unfair and unprofessional, it is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.