Can my place of employment where I also have my business, give unsolicited information regarding me.

My former insurance agent/employer recently let my ex-husband/customer know that
I was no longer employed there and my ex in turn told my youngest daughter before
I did causing us undue stress. This information was freely given and unsolicited
from my ex

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

An employer or former employer may share any truthful information about you that is not part of a limited subset of protected information (like your social security number, your bank account number, or certain medical/health related information) or which they are not prevented from sharing by a signed written confidentiality agreement (or confidentiality clause in some other agreement, like a severance or separation agreement). Otherwise, if it's not that limited information which the law presumes is confidential and it's not protected by a confidentiality agreement, any person can tell any other person what they know about you, even if it's embarassing or stressful, so long as it is true--like telling your ex that you no longer work there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.