Can my pay be drop from 8.75 to 8.00

I work for a home health care for
personal and respite care they try to
drop my pay from 8.75 to 8.00 cause I’m
now doing respite care is that even

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless your pay rate has been guaranteed by an employment contract or union agreement, it can be reduced by your company. The fact is that in an "at will" work relationship, an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of actionable discrimination). The only thing that it can't do is to change your compensation rate for work already performed. In other words a wage reduction cannot be retroactive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.