Can my older sister come to the U.S because of her child who has a serious condition?

My older sister is currently in mexico and is illegal to come in the U.S. but she has a son who was born here and he has a serious health condition. Could she, as the mother, get permission to come in the U.S. because of her sick child?

Asked on April 23, 2016 under Immigration Law, Washington


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Probably not.  At least not by any right.  There may be a way for her to accompany her son if her son is a US citizen and needs to enter the US.  However, there is no automatic right for her to do this. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.