Can my new employer make me quit my current part-time jobs?

I work 2 part-time casual jobs one on a saturday as a support worker for 6 hours and one some days during school holidays as a facilitator or personal assistant on a playscheme.

I have been offered full-time work as a teaching assistant which is 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Monday to Friday, term time only. Can the new job force me to quit my casual jobs? They said that I need to ask permission but I do not understand why I could not keep the 2 jobs if they do not affect me working Monday to Friday. If they can do that, can I say I will only take the job if they allow me to continue working the other jobs?

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer can do this. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes prohibiting an employee from outside employment. That is true unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement. Also, it cannot constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination. For their part, an employee can either comply with their employer's policy, refuse and risk termination, or quit. Bottom line, your employer can mandate that you quit your part-time jobs and it need not explain to you why.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.