Could my mother take a loan out from my life insurance and leave me liable for it?

When I was an infant (I’m an adult now) my mother took a life insurance policy out in my name. A year ago she was dealing with cancer and took a loan out on it. She passed away 2 months later and I never knew about the loan. I got my bill in the mail and am now expected to pay this loan back. What can I do? Am I stuck paying this loan that I never agreed to simply because I had this plan in my name?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Insurance Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it stands.  The type of policy that allows you to take loans is generally a whole life policy.  You Mother must have been the owner of the policy in order for the insurance company to permit her to take out the loan.  If that is the case then the estate is now the owner of the policy and it may be that they have to pay back to loan to the company.  But there are ways to get around that too, if the policy earns dividends then it may be able to pay itself.  So you need to have the policy reviewed by someone who can help - possibly a broker? Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.