Can my mortgage company keep asking me for documents they already have?

I have had a home loan in process for 3 months. I have had to keep on top of

everything with them. Then 2 days before my closing date, they ordered an engineer certificate which had never been mentioned, and told me that was all I needed. However, I got an email the next day for 11 more documents. What can I do?

Asked on August 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that your lender can impose any conditions that it sees fit, absent some form of legally actionable discrimination. They are under no legal obligation to extend a loan to you. Accordingly, if you want a loan from them, then you will need to satisfy its lending requirements.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

They don't have to lend to you: there is no law requiring a lender to make any given or particular loan, and similarly, you have no inherent right to or guaranty of the loan. You have to satisfy them as to making the loan, so that they choose to make it, which means putting up with and responding to their requests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.