Can my landlord make my boyfriend move out?

I am the sole leaseholder on my unit. My boyfriend recently moved in and now the landlord wants him to fill out an application for residency. He must be approved according to the same criteria I did when I moved in. He has bad credit and probably won’t get approved. There is no clause in the lease against him moving in, only against me transferring the lease (subletting) without permission. The clause states if I transfer the lease, I am still responsible for rent. Can my landlord make him leave even though I am financially responsible for the rent?

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are wise to have carefully read your lease for the rental that you have. If the lease has no provision against another person living in the unit, then your landlord cannot legally keep your boyfriend from living there so long as you are current in your rent. Your boyfriend is not required to fill out any paper work as well.

Had you gotten married, your landlord could not prevent your husband from living in the rental that you have.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.