Can my landlord make me pay for extermination in all units of my building?

We found bed bugs in our apartment and the landlord states that we are responsible for extermination, which is in our agreement. They also state that if they (landlord) call in the exterminator we will have to pay for all units in this building.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your written agreement with your landlord states that you would be responsible for the extermination of vermin in your unit, then absent any conflicting state law on the subject you are. I suggest that you carefully read your written lease on the subject to make sure that this is what you agreed to and are obligated to do.

As to your obligation claimed by the landlord that you are obligated to pay for the vermin extermination in all other units, you need to carefully read your written lease with your landlord to make sure that is your agreement. Most importantly, what proof does your landlord have that you caused the from with the bed bug infestation? If you did not cause the problem at the apartment complex, why should you be responsible for haveing it taken care of separate and apart from what you agreed to in your written lease?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.