Can my landlord force me out of my apartment 6 months before my lease is over?

I live in an apartment building on the second floor. The 1st floor vacant and 3rd floor vacant. I signed a 12 month lease on 02/18/10 and it ends 02/18/11. I received an “agreement” from my landlord on 07/01/10 that I had until 07/24/10 to move out and that he would pay a $190 relocation fee. I never signed this agreement. On 07/22/10, my landlord came to my apartment at 8 am and I explained I never signed the agreement. He pleasantly said, “Oh well my things are coming Wednesday”. Can he buy my lease out for the remaining 6 months?

Asked on July 25, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So wait: the landlord is telling you that he wants to break the lease so that he can move in to the apartment?  Well isn't that lovely. A lease is a contract as between two parties.  It is a binding contract and states the rights and duties of both the parties.  Does your lease give the landlord the right to take over your apartment for personal reasons and to give you less than one month's notice of same? Doubtful.  What you don't want to happen is that he comes in and removes your stuff, which is illegal without an eviction order. Can you and he alter the lease agreement? Yes, in writing, which is what the "relocation" paperwork was an attempt at.  You need legal help here.  What is going to happen is that he is going to attempt to move in on Wednesday.  You may have to call the police.  It could get ugly.  Get help soon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.