Can my landlord evict me if my 14 year old child gets into trouble?

My 14 yr old was hanging out with some friends who stole a golf cart over the weekend. My son didn’t take the cart; he did not even know that it had been stolen. Somehow my landlord got involved in the situation and is now telling me that if my son gets into trouble he will either evict us or make my child move out. My rent is paid up to date. I am a single mom, who pays on time and we don’t cause trouble. I am just wondering if this is legal and can he really evict me for really a no good reason?

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease agreement with your landlord over the unit you are renting, you need to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by your landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicitng state law over the current problem that you are having with your landlord over your fourteen (14) year old.

Read the grounds for the termination of your lease and see if any of the grounds apply to your situation.

Most likely if your son has been well behaved at the apartment site your landlord has no factual or legal basis to evict you for something that supposedly happened off the rental site.

You might wish to consult with your local "legal aid" program assuming there is one in your community or consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.