Can my juvenile adjudication be vacated or reveresed now that I am an adult?

I have an expungement hearing hearing next week for a juvenile charge and I know the military still looks at expunged records so I was wondering if it were possible for the judge to vacate the finding of guilt instead of just expunging the record?

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately under the laws of all states in this country, once one has been convicted of a criminal offense where there was no probationary period where the court reserved jurisdiction to dismiss the conviction, the best one can hope for is an expungement.

However, under the laws of all states in this country, the criminal records of minors are sealed and can only be opened after notice is given to all concerned and after a court hearing on the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.