can my job ask me to provide mine and my deceased brothers birth certificate as proof we are related to I can go to his funeral and not be fired

my brother recently passed and my mom and I are estranged so I was not listed as
family on the obituary. My job says since im not on the obituary I cannot get
bereavement to go to the funeral and I am now fired unless I provide them with a
copy of mine and my deceased brothers birth certificate to prove we are related.
can my job do this?

Asked on June 9, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Actually, yes your employer can compel you to prove your family relationship, at least if you want your job back. While seemingly unfair, it is within its legal rights to mandate that you do so in order to get your job back. The fact is that most employment relationships are "at will", which means that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. Additionally, it can fire an employee for the reason you give, or for any reason, or for no reason at all. This is all true unless such an action violates the terms of company policy, a union agreement or employment contract. Also, your treatment must not constitute any form of legally actionable discrimination (which it does not appear to).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.