Can my insurance company drop my home insurance policy after I attempted to file my first claim in 5 years?

I have been with my current insurance company for 5 years. Recently, I tried to file a claim to get my roof replaced due to hail damage. They denied the claim and I get a letter yesterday stating that they are not renewing my insurance. They knew how old my roof was when they insured me and even had pictures.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Review your policy, including especially the small print. The insurance policy is a contract, and the parties to it (you and the insurer) are bound by its terms. If the policy gives the insurer the right to cancel at more-or-less any time, they can do this--and most policies do.

However, you do not have to necessarily accept the insurer's denial of your claim; if you feel that they should have paid under the terms of the policy, you could sue them to force them to honor their obligation. If the amount at stake is several thousand dollars, hire an attorney to help you--there are lawyers who specialize in this. If it's several hundred dollars, you might represent yourself instead (e.g. in small claims court). Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.