Can my husbands children from a previous marriage claim half of our house if my husband passes away?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I think that you are thinking ahead here and trying to do some estate planning, correct?  It may be a very good idea for you to sit down with your husband and an estate planner to discuss the matter in depth.  If your husband dies with out a Will his children would inherit any of the assets from his estate that are not jointly held with you.  In other words, if your home is held as joint tenants or as tenants by the entirety with rights of survivorship - those are the key words: rights of survivorship - then the property will go to you automatically at the time of his death.  So then the answer to your question would be no, they would not be entitled to a portion of the house.  But I am making assumptions here like your name is on the deed, that it was not his prior to the marriage, etc.  Seek help from some one who can see all the documentation involved.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.