Can my husband legally remove me from health insurance coverage through his employer.

My husband is threatining me with divorce but has not served any paperwork.
He says he is removing me from his health insurance plan currently provided
through his employer.

Asked on September 6, 2018 under Family Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, a spouse can remove the other spouse from their life insurance policy. That is unless their is a legally enforceable agreement that they not do so, as per divorce proceedings.  

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he may do this as a general matter: while a spouse may cover his/her spouse on his/her insurance, there is no law mandating that he do so; anyone may select whatever coverage they want. IF a divorce were to be instituted (divorce case filed), whether by you or by him, in the course of that divorce, you may be able to get a court order requiring him to keep you covered during the divorce--but until/unless an actual divorce case is filed, the court has no power over your marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.