Can my husband kick me out of the house if it is in his name only?

We have beem married for 25 years.

Asked on September 1, 2018 under Family Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a legal separation agreement or final decree of divorce in effect that states who has the exclusive right to occupy the house, it remains the "joint marital residence". This is holds no matter whose name that the deed is in. Accordingly, if you are not legally separated, your husband cannot ask you to move out. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.