If my husband and I are not legally separated but are living apart, can he keep our son from visiting me overnight?

My husband and I stay in houses and plan on divorcing (no papers yet). We have a 13 year-old son together, but he stays with my husband. Now he doesn’t want my son to stay overnight in my house because I have a boyfriend who just got release from prison. He thinks that my boyfriend is a bad influence. I want to know if what he doing is legal or not because his girlfriend stays at his place several nights a week.

Asked on March 28, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Technically your husband can not keep your son from you any more than you can keep your son from him.  He can, however, petition the court separately or apart from your divorce proceedings (in other words before the actual divorce proceedings have begun) for custody and/or a visitation schedule regarding your son and ask for limitations on your rights to overnight visits.  What he has to prove is that his requests is in "the best interest" of your son.  I would strongly suggest that you seek legal consultation and that you attempt to come t an amicable solution, like that neither of you have overnight visitors when your son is with you, or something you can both live with.  Otherwise the court will rule on the issue for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.