Can my husband file a no-contest divorce without my knowledge?

My husband is doing legal things to me behind my back for the longest time now.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the court systems of all states in this country, parties in the action through their attorneys of record or if a party is in action without an attorney are required to receive notice of all proceedings in the proceeding via proofs of service of all pleadings.

The court when a hearing date is set serves the parties with the pleadings and notice per a proof of service. If you are in a marital dissolution matter, your husband can file for a marital dissolution be it a no-contest proceeding or not but sooner or later you will have to be served with the paper work placing you on notice of matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.