can my husband change the locks on our house with my belongings inside

my husband and I are arguing and he changed the locks with my belongings inside. Is that legal ? The house is in his name but we are legally married.

Asked on September 25, 2017 under Family Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless there exisits a formal separation agreement or a final decree of divorce that has been issued which establishes who has rights to the house, it remains the "joint marital residence". This is true regardless of whose name the deed is in. Accordingly, legally you cannot be locked out and have full right to your possessions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.