Can my HOA enforce a ‘no commercial vehicle’ policy if they don’t define what a commercial vehicle is?

I have a pickup truck that is both my work and personal vehicle. My deed restrictions only say ‘no commercial vehicles allowed’. They do not define what makes a vehicle a commercial vehicle. Can I fight the violation notices and threats of legal intervention?

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can fight and *may* win--but also may not. When a deed or other legal document (e.g. a contract or lease) does not adequately define a term and the two parties disagree, if neither party backs down or compromises (e.g. they want the truck gone; you want to keep it), the matter will end up in court and a judge will decide what that ambiguous or undefined term means. In my experience, however, as a landlord-tenant attorney, where restrictions on home commercial activities sometimes comes up, if a vehicle is used for work (other than just for driving/commuting to work), it is a "commercial" vehicle for this purpose; it is likely that a judge would find that the truck is a commercial vehicle and subject to the restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.