Can my girlfriend get a protection order against me dropped by appealing to the court or my probation officer?

I am on probation for 4 more years and we would like to resume our life together. I already served my sentence in a treatment center. The crime I was convicted of was assault which is a 4th degree felony. She is the victim and is willing to do whatever is nessesary to get the order removed.

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your girlfriend wishes to have the retraiing order presently in place against you dropped, she need to file a petition with the court in the case that it was issued setting forth the reasons why she wants the restraining order against you dropped and serving the probation department and the district attorney's office with her request.

The clerk sets a hearing and the judge makes a decision with respect to the request. I suggest that your girlfriend consult with a family law attorney to assist her in the matter you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.