can my friend get into trouble???

my friend has been seeing this girl for almost a year. she is 16 going on 17 in a few weeks. he is 23 or 24. i cant remember. anyways i have no problem with it. they have nere done anything like sex or that stuff. anyways her brother caught both of them kissing… now she cant see him till 18 and he cant she her. but here is my question…. her mother i think after two months later… i think she is trying to get the boy into trouble with the law. what could he get out of it. i told him i didnt know but… yeahjust woundering what could he get into trouble for???they never had sex

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In New York state the age for consensual sex is 17.  Having sex with someone younger constitutes sexual assault. 

The girl is under 17 here, but you say that they have not had sex.  In that case there has been no sexual assault.  However "sex" is broadly defined under the applicable statute;  it's not just intercourse, there are several acts that constitute "sex".

Without going into all the intimate details of your friends' love life, I have provided you a link:  Look at it.  If anything that they have done is described in the statute than a sexual assault has occurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.