Can my former employer sue me for quiting and ask for reimbursement of training if I didn’t break any conditions on a non-compete contract?

Asked on September 27, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They can only sue you for quiting and ask for reimbursement of training if there was some written employment conrtract which stated that under the conditions or circumstances that occured e.g. if you quit when and how you did, you would have to pay the employer some compensation or repay training costs. Without a contractual obligation to pay if you quit, there is no basis for seeking compensation employees may resign/quit whenever they like in the absence of a contract to the contrary and since the training is provided for the employer's benefit, there is no basis, outside of a contract, for seeking reimbursement for it.
There is a potential exception and basis for suing you IF it can be shown that you committed fraud in order to be hired--e.g. that you lied about your experience, education, or qualifications, and/or lied about you intention of keepng the job, in order to be hired and have the employer expend resources or money on you, such as if it paid you a signing bonus, paid to relocate you etc.--basically, the situation where you lied in order to get the bonus or relocation funds without being qualified for the job or intending to keep it past getting the bonus or relocation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.