Can my former employer legally use my photos on their website?

I used to work for a local bookstore. I said I’d create their website and took photos on my own time of the store for the website. After a confrontation regarding a work conflict with the owner I was let go. For well over a year I have asked many times for them to please remove my photos from their site and they keep assuring me that they are working on it but the photos are still up. Do I have any legal backing in getting them to remove the photos due to copyright and personal property? I was not paid extra to do the website or for the use of my photos.

Asked on July 26, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Since you took the photos pursuant to your employment, they are the legal property of your former employer. This is true whether or not you took them on your "own time"; getting extra compensation for doing so does not change this.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You took those photos for you employer, as part of the work you were doing for them; therefore, the photographs belong to them. Any photos taken, anything written, etc. for your employer are the employer's property. It does not matter if you did not get exta compensation for them, or this was not your "regular" job--that it you did while employed, for you employer, makes the photos theirs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.