Can my father send me money from China?

I am an international student living in Boston. My parents send me money from time to time. I want to buy a car and move off campus. Can my father (who lives in china) legally wire me 100,000? Do I have to pay a gift tax?

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Immigration Law, Massachusetts


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is not really an immigration issue since it has nothing to do with immigration, your status in the US, or any applications for immigration benefits in the US.  I would suggest that you speak with an accountant regarding the possible tax consequences of receiving such a large sum of money from abroad through a wire transfer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.