Can my ex-wife move out of state with my kids?

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Without looking as if I am throwing this back in your court: what does your agreement state?  If your custody agreement states that she may move then she may move.  If it is silent then I would go to court to object.  Spouses can not do anything to impede visitation with the non-custodial parent or make it cumbersome for the non custodial parent to see their children and have their visitiation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.