Can my ex-wife get the amount of alimony that I pay her raised if I live with my girlfriend?

Asked on October 22, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Alimony payments can be increased in amount or duration because of changed financial circumstances. Typically, they are due to the recipient's change in financial circumstances (a change that must be subtantial). For example, a reduction in the recipient's income, the loss of the recipient's ability to earn income, an increase in the recipient's reasonable expenses, etc. That having been said, it may also be possible to increase the amount and/or duration of alimony if there is an improvement in the paying individual's financial situation. And this can happen if the payor's living expenses decrease, such as when they co-habitiate with someone.
At this point, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area. After reviewing the details of your case they can best adivse as to your rights under specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.