Can my ex-husband legally kick me out and rent the house?

Basically our house was awarded to him and I was told to file a quitclaim deed transferring my interest under the pretense that he intended to sell it.The clause afterwards states: “Respondent shall remain in possession of the house for not less than 45 days from the date of this decree. Petitioner shall pay all utilities associated with the house until the house is sold. Any net proceeds of the sale of the house shall be divided equally between Petitioner and Respondent.” I was planning on using the proceeds of the house for moving costs but now he is saying he is renting it, can he?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

According to the clause you quoted, if you are the respondent, you are entitled to be in the house for 45 days without getting kicked out.  If he violated that part of the order, you need to go to court and he will be found in contempt.  Now, read the rest of the order and find where it directs him or you to sell the house.  Is he following that clause?  Is he making efforts to sell the home?  A spouse can rent the house while it is up for sale, but he must be making best efforts at selling the house if the order directs him to.  I would talk to a local attorney--comparing the order to what is going on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.