Can my ex file bankrupcy on a car that was part of our divorce settlement?

He was supposed to make the car payment but is 3 months behind. I filed contempt of court papers. Now he sent me papers saying that he wants court costs and that he’s filing bankrupcy on my car. It’s in both names; he filed bankrupcy last year.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He can request the debt be discharged in the bankruptcy petition.  You should oppose it based on the divorce, otherwise you will have to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.