Can my ex-doctor’s office get in trouble for patient abandonment?

I have been a patient at this particular office for a little over 3 years. I had an excellent relationship with my doctor, however I received a letter in the mail about 10 days ago stating my they had been discharged. I was then given gave other physicians’ office numbers but none are accepting new patients. I am on medications that are dangerous to just stop taking. I only have about a week worth of medication left. I am very anxious and worried I don’t know what to do. Can they really just do this to me and all of the rest of his patients?

Asked on February 17, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this. Doctors are not just doctors: they are in essence also private businesses. The law does not make any business, including a doctor's office, keep a client/patient/customer it does not wish to keep for some reason. Doctors are allowed to decide who to see, and who to not see, and may drop established patients the same way that lawyers, accountants, plumbers, cleaning services, etc. can decide to stop serving some customers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.