Can my employer threaten my job if my child owes them money?

I have worked in a short term for 9 years. I cannot help friends or family obviously. Upper management gave my daughter permission to go to a different office in a different city. She did so and took care of the loan. Evidentially she became a co-signer on another loan. My area manager and vice president showed up yesterday and asked me what was up with my daughter? I asked what do you mean? I was told that she’s late with her payment. They told me in short that my job is on the line if either the payment or vehicle is not here by 6 pm. I had to try to contact my daughter and try to find the address for the repo man. I questioned why I am being held responsible for something I didn’t do. They only made it clear my job was on the line. I’ve never been so

stressed in my life. They allowed her to co-sign. I don’t understand how they could do this to me.

Asked on April 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

What you describe is unfair, but legal, if you don't have a written employment contract protecting our job. Without a contract, you are an "employee at will" and may therefore be fired at any time, for any reason--including something your daughter did. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.