Can my employer take 8 hour days of pay away from my monthly salary if I’m absent?

I’m a salaried exempt assistant manager and I’m paid monthly. We were given this
information via email You must work the day before and the day after a Holiday
to receive full pay for that Holiday or group of Holidays.

Asked on January 4, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes it can do this; your salery is based on working a certain amount of full days. Further, an employer is not required to provide holiday; it is at their discretion. Therefore, to the extent that is chooses to give such pay, it has a great deal of discretion over when and if it is paid. According, setting the conditions that you list, is perfectly permissable under the law.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Thery can do this so long as they are only taking away holiday pay, and not pay for any days that you actually work. There is NO requirement to provide holiday pay and no right to receive it: it is voluntary for employers to provide paid holidays. It being voluntary for them to pay you for holidays, they can put restrictions or rules on being paid, such as that to get holiday pay, you must the day before and after.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.