Can my employer suspend me while I am on long term disablilty

Can my employer suspend me while I am on long
term disability.
They have pulled unemployment records of over 40
employees back to 2012 and saying we all overdrew
unemployment and has suspended me with a former
letter stating I have violated a company policy. I have
an appointment with my HR on Tuesday they
decided to handle each employee case one by one. I
believe they are going to try and let me go but they
have already let several of the suspended ones
return that did violate the policy. How can they term
one to the policy and not the others for the same
policy violation

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Just because you were on long-term disability, does not mean that you could not have been suspended (or even terminated) for a non-disability related reason. Accordingly, if you violated company policy, you could have been discharged for that reason. The fact is that an employer is not required to treat their workers equally or even fairly unless the reason for such differing treatment is due to some form of legally actionable discrimination.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Being on long-term disability does not protect you from termination or suspension for valid, non-disabilit related reasons, so if you did in fact violate company policy, you may be terminated or suspended for that reason.
2) Employers are not required to treat employees equally or fairly; they may legally elect to punish one person for an offensive, action, or behavior but not another.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.