Can my employer record audio without my consent

My employer has been recording the office all day every day and has not informed any of the employees.

Asked on May 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no “expectation of privacy” in public areas such as lobbies, stairwells, conference rooms, waiting areas, etc.). Accordingly, recording conversations in such places is legal. Otherwise, recording employees without their knowledge and consent is against the law unless the person recording the conversation is also a party to the conversation (i.e. "1 party consent"), although in some states every party to a conversation must consent to its being recording (i.e. "all party consent"). MD is an all party consent state. At this point, you can contact your state's department of labor and/or consult directly with a local employment law attorney.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, this not legal. Your state is what is known as an "all-party consent" state (sometimes mistakenly called a "two-party consent" state) which means that *everyone* in a conversation must consent, or agree, to be recorded. By definition, if people were not aware they were being recorded, they could not consent to  it. Your employer violated the law, and you could report this to the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.