If I am found guilty to or plead guilty to a recent charge of endangering the welfare of children misdemeanor can the home healthcare company I work for terminate me?

I have been employed with them for over 3 nearly 4 years. My children were never removed from my care and CYS didn’t open a case but the local police have decided to pursue charges. I am going to fight and try to get reduced or other charges but my employer found out the day after charges were filed and told me if I was found guilty I would be immediately terminated. I tried reading the laws but not sure what I’m reading.

Asked on January 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment contract preventing your termination for this reason, they may terminate you. Except if and to the extent that the employer's ability to terminate you is restricted by a signed contract, you are an "employee at will" and may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.