Can my employer make us pay missing money?

I work in a post office and the shop with
it, it has been brought by an independent
business, if money goes missing
accidentally from the shared post office
till can he make us pay it?

Asked on April 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your employer can prove by a "preponderance of the evidence" to the court that you took the money, then you can be held liable for repayment. This is true whether or not you later quit or are terminated. That having been said, unless you agree in writing otherwise, your pay check cannot be deducted for the amount of any missing money.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He can ask you to pay, but he cannot force you to pay unless he sues you and wins, by proving in court by a preponderance of the evidence, or that it is more likely than not, that you took the money deliberately or caused it go missing through unreasonable carelessness or negligence. However, while you can't be forced to pay (or allow oaycheck deductions) unless you lose in court or agree to thepayment, an employer who believes you cost the employer money can terminate you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.