Can my employer make me work 7 days a week?

I work on a golf course as assistant superintendent. I make a salary of $48,000 a year. The money is OK but I work at least 12 hours a day during the week and at least 8 hours every

weekend day. I’m given no regular time off besides one day every 3 weeks or so. There are many people in my shoes but industry standard is to keep your mouth shut and accept the way

things are done. Is it legal to work people this hard? Also, I do not have the authority to hire or fire hourly employees.

Asked on June 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have 2 issues here. First, an employee can be scheduled to work however many hours that their employor sees fit. The exceptions would be for airline pilots, truck drivers and certain medical personnel. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will", which means that an employer can set the conditions of work much as they deem appropriate. That is unless such action violates a union agreement or employment contract, or constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination.
Your second issue is whether or not you are considered to be an exempt employee and thereby eligible to receive overtime pay. Based on what you have written, you may well be exempt. What you can do to find out more is to go the U.S. Department of Labor's website or your state labor deartment's website; they will expainn all of this further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.