Can my employer make me getting healthcare benefit contingent on participation in Wellness Program?

My employer offers healthcare as a benefit to full time employees. They also participate in a Wellness Program. In order to get the healthcare benefit, employees must participate in Wellness program which includes blood-testing, and a health questionnaire, both held by the employer. Results are then discussed with a rep of the employer and employee, and not sent to employee’s doctor. I have a relationship with my doctor, not with the employer. This seems awfully invasive, and there is no privacy policy signed in conjunction with the paperwork to set up the wellness program. I have no confidence that my medical records, blood tests, or anything on their questionairre will be legal. The main branch of employer is in IN, my branch is in WA.

Asked on May 23, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer may do this. Remember: an employer does not have to provide healthcare as an employee benefit--not all employees get it. If an employer chooses to provide healthcare, the employer has the right to put conditions on it, such as employee participation in a wellness program. If you want the benefit, you hvae to comply with the condition (the wellness program).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.