Can my employer legally change my time card?

I found that my

Asked on June 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they want to change your start time going forward that is permitted. However, they cannot change your timecard for hours already worked. It is illegal for an a company to change a timecard if the change is not accurate. In other words, there are times when an employer can make such a change in order to correct an error but the employee must be notified. That having been said, if a change is designed to take off time hours worked, a worker needs to notify their employer in writing and ask for it to be fixed. If the employer refuses to do so, then a wage claim complaint can be filed with the state's department of labor and/or the employee can consult with an employment law attorney. Additionally, if they are terminated for this, they not only have a claim for the unpaid wages but also for retaliation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.