Can my employer force me to take a credit card in my name that will be used for my for travel expenses?

They are going to run a

Asked on June 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal. Employers can put essentially any terms or conditions on employment that they like, including that employees must take out business credit cards for travel, etc. expenses, and/or that the employer will not reimburse expenses paid any other way. Employees who are unwilling to do this may leave and seek other employment: that is part of "employment at will," which is the law of this country--an employee does not have a right to any one given or particular job, but rather has the right to leave any job whose poliicies he or she does not like. The employer sets the rules; you decide if you are willing to live by them.

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer can do this. That is unless this action is prohibited by the terms of an employment contract or union agreemtnt. Otherwise you are an "at will" employee. This means that your company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit  (absent some form of actionable discrimination). This includes requiring credit cards for employee expenses. If this policy in unacceptable, you can refuse to get the card but risk termination, or elsr quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.