Can my employer force me to transfer to another department and post a position for the same position within the department that I was forced to transfer out of?

Asked on September 3, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In an "at will" employment relationship, an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes who to transfer in or out of a department. The only protection is if the emplyee's treatment violates the terms of an employment contract, union agreement or company policy. Also, such treatment must not be the result of leaglly actionable retaliation or discrimination.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This is perfectly legal unless you had an employment contract guarantying your right to the position you'd had. Otherwise, employers have the right to transfer, reassign, change the duties and titles of, etc. employees at will, and/or to replace employee 1 with employee 2 in the same position. Your employer also could have, if you do not have an employment contract and most of us do not terminated you to make room for a new hire, had the employer chosen to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.